I require your assistance.
With my new Bayesian Linear Regression course, I wanted to try something new (sort of).
In this course, I initially only used LaTeX equations. You’re probably used to this if you’ve been taking the course I’ve released in the past few years.
Initially however, I derived everything by hand (using a digital pen). This has several advantages, such as:
- Being slower so that you can take your time following along
- Allowing you to “feel” where the equations come from – it’s like making a painting!
But there are also disadvantages. For example, handwriting is messy and some people have trouble reading it. As many students requested typeset equations, I began using those instead.
Of course, that has disadvantages too:
- Being too fast, because the equation just shows up instantly. There’s not much to “say” to make it stay on the screen longer, and we can’t just sit there in silence.
- If you’re not the type of student that writes things down (despite my recommendations!) you won’t get the “feel”
So with my Bayesian Linear Regression course, as I was “proofwatching” the lectures, I noticed that things seemed to go by pretty fast, even for me (the person who made the lectures!). Although do note that I watch at 2x speed.
In any case, what I wanted to try was reintroducing handwritten derivations. This might be “new” for you if you’ve only taken my newest courses, but those who’ve been around since the beginning know that this is how it all started!
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
I’m giving you free access to the first few videos of the course.
LaTeX Lecture 1: https://youtu.be/ef2f_MUdJ3Y
LaTeX Lecture 2: https://youtu.be/zS6KpzrV6Xc
Handwritten Lecture: https://youtu.be/W_PgOv9XsWw
The handwritten lecture goes over the same material as the first 2 LaTeX lectures, so you can compare:
- How much you understood with just the LaTeX lectures
- What, if any, improvement you had in your understanding after watching the handwritten lecture
After watching the videos, please fill out the following survey to let me know your thoughts (it’s really just one question).
By letting me know what you prefer, you can help guide the creation of future courses and ensure they are presented in a manner that suits you best. In other words, you are helping me help YOU!
Sidenote: if you are already taking the course, please feel free to email me your thoughts and fill out the survey as well.
Thanks for reading and I hope you have a wonderful day!
The Lazy Programmer